Arthur M. Palkowitz
Arthur’s public education experience involves representation of School Districts in certificated and classified employee suspension, discipline and termination proceedings. Arthur has experience in employment-related litigation, involving discrimination, sexual harassment, wrongful termination, EEOC complaints as well investigations by Office of Inspector General.
Arthur has successfully represented public agencies before State Appellate Courts and California State Supreme Court on cases involving state mandates and obtained an unanimous favorable decision before the U.S. Supreme Court, making new law distinguishing ERISA with California’s notice/prejudice rule. (Unum Life Ins. Co. of Am. v. Ward, 526 U.S.359, 119 S. Ct. 334 (1999).
Arthur has served as General Counsel and committee member of Education Mandated Cost Network and has over a hundred appearances in Sacramento representing School Districts before the Commission on State Mandates.
Arthur has appeared as speaker at State Controller conference, California Association School Business (CASBO) annual conventions and San Diego County of Education lecture series.
- BV Distinguished Rating by Martindale-Hubbell in California
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association
- Member, San Diego Defense Lawyers
- Member, California Council of School Attorneys
- Pace University, B.B.A., 1978
- California School of Law, J.D., 1982
- United States Supreme Court
- State of California
- Southern and Central District Courts